Рус / Eng

THE HISTORY OF PROJECT DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE № 1 IS THE HISTORY OF THE COUNTRY

Project Development Institute №1 was founded in 1946 and played a very important role in the post-war restoration of the country, further industrial construction and updating of the economy and development of new advanced constructions. Select the period you are interested in on the scale, and then select the year

Select the period you are interested in on the scale, and then select the year

Год: 1946

1950

Besides the shipbuilding industry plants, in 1950, the Institute developed design projects for stone and crushed-stone open pits, a brick-plant reconstruction project in Ust-Izhora, an excavator-machinery-plant reconstruction project, design projects for new facilities and renovation of operating buildings at Leningrad Kirov Plant, Chelyabinsk Kirov Plant, the plant named after Voroshilov in Omsk, the Penza plant for chemical engineering etc. Activities in renovating existing buildings were often conducted under challenging and even hazardous conditions, namely, surveys and measurements on structures were carried out without production-process stops.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/11/3e/113e4300-36f7-498d-9adb-310281593cd5/tass_8853375.jpeg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg i

Author: Кропивницкий С.

Source: http://www.tassphoto.com/

Sluices of the Volga-Don channel

In 1950, Project Development Institute No. 1 initiated the design of sluices for the Volga-Don channel. This is one of the Institute’s most significant projects in the field of hydro-technical facilities, which also include hydro-power stations, ports, dams, channels throughout the USSR. Sluices of the Volgo-Donsky channel represent a unique Institute achievement for the Soviet construction project of the century. Thousands of drawings were issued, which, due to urgency, were sent to the site by express airplane. During the entire construction period, Project Development Institute No. 1 personnel conducted field supervision over the construction of all 26 sluice heads.


1958

The work of Project Development Institute No. 1 becomes world-famous. At the World’s Fair in Brussels, the Institute presented a model of the building-construction industrial complex in Avtovo, showcasing 40x40 m envelopments and a barrel vault with a 100 m span. The same model was demonstrated in 1959 at the Scientific-and-Technical Achievements Expo in New York City. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/2a/ea/2aea31f9-7666-48ca-8716-1cfaca20f39b/ivoilov_ia.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Anatoly Ivoilov

Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 1958–1964

Anatoly Ivoilov began working at Project Development Institute No. 1 in 1947. He started holding management positions in 1951, climbing the career ladder from department head to chief engineer. On 18 April 1958, he was appointed Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 per the recommendation of General Project at the Ministry of Construction of the RSFSR. He was a member of the Scientific Board at the Construction and Architectural Academy. Under the direction of A.A. Ivoilov, the Institute gained a special drawing office in 1958, and a special architectural and construction department for designing spatial structures in 1961; skill advancement study groups were arranged as well. In 1963, during principal rearrangement of the design department using Project Development Institute No. 1 as a base, Soyuzmachstroyproject All-Union Association with 5,770 persons was created and the Institute became its lead. 


1980

In 1980, design projects for the country’s most important facilities were developed, including the Leningrad carriage works named after Egorov, buildings and workshops of Atommash plant, Tomsk chemical plant, fixture plant named after Lepse in Leningrad, buildings of the Braynsk machine-engineering plant.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/da/0c/da0c03b9-8a3e-42fb-bb0d-0fa3f32879e0/sudoremogtgyi_zavod_loksa.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Ship-repair yards in Loksa and Slavyanka

In 1980, Project Development Institute No. 1 began designing ship-repair yards in Loksa (Estonia) and Slavayanka, Primorsky Kray.


1967

In 1967, Project Development Institute No. 1 headed the All-Union Association Soyuzstroyproject of the State Construction Department of the USSR for designing machine-engineering and shipbuilding enterprises. The State Construction Department of the USSR also charged it with leading Institute functions in designing tire plants in the USSR. The Institute also carried out important functions as the territorial Institute of the State Construction Department of the USSR in the Leningrad Economic Region.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/2f/11/2f11f39c-a4ad-4c4d-89d7-90d3479ad9fc/pavilainen_2circle.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Voldemar Pavilainen

In 1967, engineers V.Y. Pavilainen and G.M. Shagal were awarded with the State Prize of the USSR for their development of industrially-fabricated precast spatial structures.


2004

A new procedure for land-plot provision was adopted by the investment and construction industry. In May 2004, the St. Petersburg Law “On the Procedure for Providing Real Estate Property Owned by St. Petersburg for Construction and Renovation” was adopted, establishing a tender basis for providing real estate properties. These changes encouraged a competitive environment on the construction market and furnished investors with qualified, long-term supply.

Steps aimed at facilitating the coordination and state expertise board examination of town-planning and design documentation was another important improvement in the industry’s ongoing development.

Territorial activity still has notable scope in the order package of Project Development Institute No. 1. Territory planning projects were developed for the following industrial zones: ‘‘Gorelovo,’’ ‘‘Kirpichny Zavod’’ and ‘‘Volosovo,’’ and formation layouts for industrial and utility-and-storage zones in Tosno, Gatchina, Vyborg and Volosovo Districts, the ‘‘South’’ industrial zone in Ivangorod were elaborated.

The Council for Town-Planning and Architecture of Leningrad Region noted the high quality of the engineering-and-technical solutions provided by Project Development Institute No. 1 as the leading territorial organization in the field of designing industrial zones and individual production units.

Among the Institute’s important industrial projects this year are the second line of the Kraft Foods plant, Tikhvin carriage works, Nokian Tyres tire plant in Vsevolozhsk.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/50/75/5075c3f9-5287-47d4-9990-560732aa7c1d/derzh2.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Project Development Institute No. 1 on Derzhavinsky Lane

In 2004, Project Development Institute No. 1 moved to the building on Derzhavinsky Lane. The famous Lion House on St. Isaac’s Square, where the Institute spent four decades since 1964, is reconstructed as a hotel.


2009

In 2009, the construction industry experiences the consequences of the global financial crisis. The Russian government elaborates anti-crisis measures, first and foremost - to support residential construction.

Project Development Institute No. 1 continues implementing major projects in construction of the Hyundai auto plant in Sestroretsk, Gai mining-and-processing industrial complex, Kovdor mining-and-processing industrial complex, ready-made pharmaceutical plant named after Academic Filatov in Gatchina District, Leningrad Region.

Katoka mining society

In 2009, Project Development Institute No. 1 completes design work on mining-and-concentration factory No. 2 of the Katoka Mining Society in Angola.


1951

Project Development Institute No. 1 contributed much to development of the construction industry. New structures and structural elements were developed here and then applied in construction, the design of construction enterprises was pursued.

Thus, in 1951, the Institute’s technical committee considered and approved the design project for a pre-stressed beam with an 18-meter span - the first in the USSR. Development of a series of metalwork plants all over the country was commenced that same year. Construction sites were prepared in Komsomolsk-on-Amur, Ulyanovsk, Novosibirsk, Kurgan, Kharkov, Nizhny Tagil.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/c1/b7/c1b72cf3-01cf-4edb-bf4f-0ad6c7411023/shmykov_pa.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Pyotr Shmykov

Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 1951–1958

Pyotr Shmykov took the helm of Project Development Institute No. 1 in 1951, having served as the organization’s chief engineer since February 1947. He went down in history as a highly-skilled engineer and talented organizer. During his management tenure, Project Development Institute No. 1 was recognized as an innovative institution, winning authority not only throughout the country but abroad as well: it took part in the World’s Fair in Brussels in 1958 and Scientific-and-Technical Achievements Expo in New York City in 1959. In the 1950s, numerous innovative approaches were created at the Institute that set the foundations of standardized design. This period also witnessed the start of the design of tire plants, representing a new field for the Institute.

Pyotr passed away on 20 March 1958 while on duty in the building of the Institute.


1952

Spatial structural design commences at Project Development Institute No. 1. On 8 January 1952, the Institute’s technical committee listened to a report by the engineer Grigory Markovich Shagal “On the Development of Metal Spatial Envelopments (Cylindrical and Double Curvature).” Distinct for their significant economical and technological effect, spatial structures went on to become the Institute’s forte. Many approaches were approved as standard later on.

One can estimate the Institute’s work scope and efficiency by considering the fact that, armed with a workforce of just 585 employees, it nonetheless managed to implement up to 50 ambitious projects for a total of 18 different ministries.

1952

The first envelopments per the projects developed by Project Development Institute No. 1 were erected at Leningrad plant of reinforced-concrete structures No. 5 in 1955. These envelopments, at a dimension of 13x18 m, were assembled using 25 rhombic-style slabs of double curvature. The structure performs impressively under mounting and tests on individual slabs.


1954

The “Heating and Ventilation at Industrial Enterprises Handbook” was issued, establishing the principles of designing such utilities. The handbook was highly sought-after not only among design companies in the USSR, but was also translated into foreign languages and applied abroad. Its materials remained relevant until the 1980s. 

Perspective design of precast reinforced-concrete structures

Project Development Institute No. 1 was supplemented with a group for the perspective design of precast reinforced-concrete structures. The precast reinforced-concrete production-expansion program was adopted in the USSR at the cabinet level. The Institute played a critical role in implementing this plan, thereby contributing to the nascent industrial and residential construction boom. The first precast reinforced-concrete school for constructors and planners in the whole country became the site of Leningrad reinforced-concrete plant No. 5, one of the key jobs of the Institute.


1957

Project Development Institute No. 1 was transferred into the management of the Ministry of Construction of the RSFSR and actively participated in the extensive program for standardized design developed by the Institute. As per standard design plans, 17 workshop standard designs and 10 standard structure (beams, trusses, columns) designs were developed in 1957.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/c4/b4/c4b4f667-c534-4b80-97a4-a64597c1f368/tass_298169.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg i

Author: Матыцин Валерий

Source: http://www.tassphoto.com/

Voronezh tire plant

Project Development Institute No. 1 initiates the design of Voronezh tire plant.


1961

On 20 March 1961, a special architectural-and-construction department for spatial structure designing was set up at Project Development Institute No. 1.

Precast reinforced-concrete structures developed at the Institute were awarded with two golden, eight silver and five bronze medals at the USSR VDNKh.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/31/d0/31d0a2c2-6241-4b61-9a8d-e1c00ebfb1d8/tts_cheliabinsk_obolochka_102_102.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Envelopments

The scope of design materials for envelopments surged: envelopments of prefabricated precast ribbed slabs were developed, double-layer envelopments were developed for the Chelyabinsk trade center, envelopments were erected in Leningrad, Moscow, Achinsk.


1964

On 25 February 1964, by decree of the State Construction Department of the USSR and the decision of the Leningrad City Council, Project Development Institute No. 1 was assigned accommodation at 1/12 Mayorov Avenue. The Institute would spend 40 years in the famous Lion House on Isaac’s Square.

In 1964, the Institute was designing up to 250 projects simultaneously. Over 400 projects were issued that year. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/6a/c9/6ac938af-a9a4-42b1-80c5-f5c5ac9cfe81/zhuk_pn.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Pavel Zhuk

Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 1964–1966

Association at Project Development Institute No. 1, the State Construction Department of the USSR decided to strengthen the Institute’s management and appointed P.M. Zhuk the director on 2 January 1964. This time, the number of employees tripled, 30 departments, sectors of chemical enterprises, machine-engineering, light and food industry, new machinery were formed. The Institute experienced organizational difficulties: the construction departments of the technological institutes it encompassed were located in 18 different organizations. In general, the integration process between Soyuzmachstroyproject and Project Development Institute No. 1 as lead was successfully completed, but the organizational activities of P. Zhuk were criticized and the State Construction Department of the USSR dismissed him on 31 January 1966.


1976

Some projects of Project Development Institute No. 1 were awarded with the prize of the USSR Council of Ministers:

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/9e/65/9e65bfa1-bd30-44e8-82d0-3c0cc6743561/sikorskii_es.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Evgeny Sikorsky

Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 1976–1983

Evgeny Sikorsky assumed the office of director of Project Development Institute No. 1 on 4 October 1976 in accordance with an order by the Main Construction Department of the USSR. During his management tenure, the Institute’s most important projects included: Atommash plant in Volgodonsk, Belorussian, Chimkent and Nizhnekamsk tire plants, Nadezhda copper-nickel plant in Norilsk, Considerable work scope was also devoted to projects involving Leningrad industrial giants i.e. Electrosila, Krasny Vyborzhets, Izhora plant, Admiralty Shipyard. Evgeny Sikorsky was dismissed by order of the Main Construction Department of the USSR as of 21 July 1983 due to a situation at the site of Atommash plant where foundation subsidences were encountered. During the later years of his work at the Institute, E.S. Sikorsky was the Head of the Technical department.


1984

A number of ambitious projects erected per the design projects of Project Development Institute No. 1 were put into operation. Among them are the launch complexes of Volgodonsk plant Atommash, Bryansk machine-engineering plant, ultra-large-dimension tire plant in Bobruisk

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/ec/b3/ecb33540-788d-4460-be99-51861886bf90/zavod_im_lepse_inzhenerno_laboratornyi_korpus.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

In 1984, the Plant named after Lepse project in Leningrad was awarded with the diploma of the Union of Architects of the USSR.


1983

Project Development Institute No. 1 developed technical documents for many important projects of new construction, crowned by the ‘‘Lenizdat’’ newspaper facility in Leningrad. Its location in a sensitive area from the town-planning standpoint, encompassed by Leninsky Avenue, Narodnogo Opolcheniya Avenue and the Baltic railroad, demanded special attention be paid to high-caliber facade development. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/2b/ca/2bca7456-a7f1-4b80-ac45-e0154ea01681/chufarinvv.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Vladimir Chufarin

Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 1983–1992

Vladimir Chufarin was appointed the director of Project Development Institute No. 1 by order of the State Construction Department of the USSR dated 16 September 1983. In the beginning of his tenure in this position, the scope of work related to the renovation and technical re-equipment of industrial enterprises notably increased. For instance, in 1986, such work was performed 2.3 times more than in 1985. Many projects of this period in Leningrad, including the buildings of the plant named after Lepse and the building of the All-Union Galurgiya Research Institute, acquired great town-planning significance. The Institute continued its territorial activity and actively defined redundant territories for industrial construction. However, investment volumes decreased by the late 1980s and plummeted by the early 1990s. 15 December 1992 Institute staff and work scope began to contract as well. Vladimir Chufarin quit his position for health reasons.


1978

On 12 September 1978, the technical committee of Project Development Institute No. 1 considered the nomination of “Development, Study and Introduction of Centrifugal Columns with Ring Sections Per Construction of the Main Production Building at Automobile Industrial Complex No. 5 in Minsk” project developed at the Institute for competition for the prize of the USSR Council of Ministers. The technical committee recognized that the projects under consideration, for the first time in world practice, applied bearing elements of industrial building frames as centrifugal columns of ring sections, which cut the consumption of concrete in half and consumption of steel by 20-30% as compared to traditional solutions. The author of the approach is R.А. Gershanok.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/79/e1/79e13bbe-7442-42e0-9481-0ab7e8b42ad1/tass_2529113.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg i

Author: Метелица Сергей

Source: http://www.tassphoto.com/

Atommash

Major industrial enterprises were erected all over the country as per the design projects of Project Development Institute No. 1. The range of its activities can be estimated by considering the fact that 40-50 persons went on business trips almost everyday.

Over 15 projects were launched in 1978, including those of crucial importance to the whole country: first stage of Volgodonsk plant Atommash, power turbo-generator building at Electrosila, plastics plant in Shevchenko.


1981

In 1981, detailed design drawings of general layouts for 16 projects were carried out, led in terms of sheer scale by: Atommash plant, Krasoyarsk trailer plant, industrial mill complex in Leningrad, ‘‘Mechanobr’’ Institute campus in non-residential area Rybatskoe in Leningrad. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/84/d6/84d69a95-4395-462b-bf1c-72c4efff4ebf/tass_1474894.jpeg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Nadezhdinsky metallurgical plant

In 1981, the smelter shop of Nadezhdinsky metallurgical plant was launched at the Mining and Smelting Industrial Complex named after P.A. Zvenyagin in Norilsk, a unique facility within the Arctic circle which currently forms part of ‘‘Nornickel’’ Company.


1987

Over 10 projects of the Institute were demonstrated at VDNKh, including boiler rooms in a unit set version. One gold, one silver and one bronze medal are among the awards. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/e0/cf/e0cf5505-5e40-4ec3-aad5-8b873f8e859e/dsc_5391.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Museum of Project Development Institute No. 1

The Institute museum was set up in one of the premises of the building of Project Development Institute No. 1 on St. Isaac’s Square, the famous Lion House, in 1978.


1989

Project Development Institute No. 1 heads in the free-market direction. Following participation in the All-Union Fair of scientific and technical achievements, 6 contracts for scientific-and-technical documentation handing were concluded.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/b1/6c/b16c454b-5d38-42e8-a20c-03919a2209d7/ani_armeniia.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Restoration activities after the earthquake in Armenia

The experience of Project Development Institute No. 1 in carrying out work involving all manner of construction engineering conditions, including their high seismicity, allowed the Institute to take part in the restoration of residential buildings and public structures after the earthquake in Armenia in 1988. Alexander Narykin headed the design team working in Leninakan in 1988-1990.


1990

Activities for defining redundant territories for industrial construction was continued. Although industrial constriction continues to wane, the territorial approaches of the Institute do not lose their significance a decade later when such construction resumes. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/01/e1/01e1cc08-5d26-4026-b9f1-daf7abad36ed/russkii_dizel.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

‘‘Russian Diesel’’

The first stage of Leningrad diesel plant near Vsevolozhsk - a joint Soviet-Finnish project - was launched.


1992

In the 1990s, construction and renovation scopes with respect to industrial enterprises experiences a ten-fold contraction, demand for the respective design activities dramatically subsides. Project Development Institute No. 1 is forced to re-consider its approach to the generation of order package in the new economic environment.

The following projects erected per the design projects of Institute were handed into operation in 1992: large-dimension building-construction plant with reinforced-concrete item workshop of Glavnovgorodstroy in Borovichi, Lenkozhvest No. 1 and Lenkozhvest No. 2 plants in St. Petersburg, program control system (PCS) plant in ‘‘Parnas’’ industrial zone in St. Petersburg, Transmash plant in Tikhvin, boiler plants of ‘‘Tashkentsky’’ state farm in Novgorod Region and greenhouse building in Orel Region.

The privatization issue was first raised in January 1992 at the meeting of employees of Project Development Institute No. 1.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/d3/6b/d36b5077-fbce-4ecf-824d-512995f863ff/61517f5438.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Alexander Narykin

Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 1992–2012

Alexander Narykin began his career at Project Development Institute No. 1 in 1981 as chief project engineer. In 1983-1984, he was the head of a team liquidating utility emergencies at Atommash plant in Volgodonsk. In 1984-1987, he was engaged in experimental development in the field of complete-unit construction. From 1987 to 1990, in the position of deputy chief engineer, he arranged territorial divisions of the Institute in Kalinigrad, Novgorod and Pskov. In 1988-1990, by appointment of the Ministry of Northwest Construction of the Russian Federation, he headed the planner team for the restoration of buildings and structures in Leninakan after the earthquake. He was chief engineer of the Institute from 1990 to 1992 and director from 1992 to 2012. Under his stewardship, the Institute initiated active collaboration with foreign companies in the mid-1990s, including with Ford, Нyundai, Heineken.


2001

2001 was a critical year for St. Petersburg in the field of construction - Alexander Vakhmistrov, St. Petersburg Vice-Governor, Chairman of the Construction Committee gave such an estimation of the situation in the industry at the expanded board of the Russian State Construction Department. The city took one the leading positions in the country as per the operating results of the investment and construction complex.

Construction industry enterprises are being modernized, new production units for hi-tech construction materials are under construction. Project Development Institute No. 1 participated in designing such new industrial units as the mini-plant for dry construction mixes MC-Bauchemie Russia in Kirovsk and brick plant in Nikolskoe, Leningrad Region.

According to the results of an assessment of the activities of design-and-survey organizations carried out by order of the Russian State Construction Department, Project Development Institute No. 1 was among the top-100, taking 21st spot.

The building of the Arbitration Court of St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region was commissioned on Suvorovsky Avenue, whose overhaul and re-planning were carried out under the design projects of the Institute.

A major boiler-house project was implemented for the Turkmenbashi oil-refinery hub.

A construction-organization project was developed for the mining-and-concentrating industrial complex at the diamond field named after M.V. Lomonosov in Arkhangelsk Region.

GM-Avtovaz in Togliatti

In October 2001, the construction of an auto-assembly plant, a joint venture between Avtovaz and General Motors, was initiated in Togliatti. Project Development Institute No. 1 developed design documents for the assembly-and-welding and transport sectors.


2002

The Russian State Construction Department commenced forming the strategic concept for construction industry development. The State Construction Policy Administration was established for this purpose. In 2002, investment share in developing the industrial base for construction companies grew by just 0.1% and by only 0.2% for the construction-material industry, indicating stagnation. Investment program development and facilitating permit procedures in design and construction commenced.

Due to the situation in the industry, the structure of order packages at Project Development Institute No. 1 changed as well. Retaining its prominence is territorial activity: the Institute acts as the general designer for major industrial zones and major terminal-storage units.

A sizable scope of work is comprised by the design of residential construction projects - residential complexes in the Krasnogvardeisky and Kirovsky Districts of St. Petersburg, as well as a building on Obukhovskoy Oborony Avenue, were commissioned in 2002.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/11/27/1127bcb5-c1d3-46fa-9adb-8a4afc610589/15540.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg i

Author: Анна Федотова

Source: http://www.interpress.ru/

Ford auto-assembly plant

On 9 July 2002, the Ford plant opened in Vsevolozhsk. It represents one of the largest projects for Project Development Institute No. 1 in the 2000s. The ribbon-cutting ceremony was attended by Alexander Vershbow - U.S. Ambassador to Russia, Valery Serdyukov - Governor of Leningrad Region, and Sergei Mitin - Deputy Minister of Science, Industry and Technology of the Russian Federation. Project Development Institute No. 1 was the general designer of the Ford plant, whose management highly appreciated collaboration with the Institute, which commenced in 1998.


2003

The Council for Town-Planning and Architecture was established by the Russian State Construction Department in 2003. Basic fields for the state town-planning policy of the Russian Federation were prepared. Work on improving the legal base was conducted. Industry development priorities are formulated: overall renovation of existing developments with demolition and the replacement of old and emergency housing facilities with new ones, consolidation of industrial territories, withdrawal of enterprises from residential districts, development of social, engineering and transport infrastructure.

The Russian construction industry is demonstrating indicator growth, largely due to the implementation of federal housing programs.

The design of industrial enterprises is very important for Project Development Institute No. 1. In 2003, the following design projects were conducted Ford auto-assembly plant in Vsevolozhsk, Helcama refrigerator-production plant in Vyborg, Klin glass plant in Moscow Region.

By order of the St. Petersburg Public Health Committee, Project Development Institute No. 1 implements a number of projects of great social importance: in 2003, renovation of the surgical building at Pokrovskaya hospital and Hospital named after Paster were accomplished.

Trade center designing is in high demand: in 2003, two trade centers Metro Cash & Carry and О’KEY hypermarket were opened in St. Petersburg, both completely designed by Project Development Institute No. 1.

Heineken brewery

In March 2003, Heineken brewery in St. Petersburg launched the Heineken beer production line, becoming the first plant in Russia to start producing this brand. Project Development Institute No. 1 has been the general designer of the plant’s facilities since 1997.


2008

In 2008, Project Development Institute No. 1 initiates large-scale work on developing a renovation design project for Russia’s first full-cycle auto-assembly plant by Korean concern Hyundai Motor Company in the ‘‘Kamenka’’ industrial zone near Sestroretsk. The Institute functioned as the general designer.

Several residential facilities erected as per the Institute’s design projects were commissioned, namely a building on Tankista Khrustitskogo Street in St. Petersburg, a residential complex on Latyshskikh Strelkov Street in Togliatti, etc.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/3d/e0/3de0e817-9eb8-468f-be2b-305390a80c5a/gm_plant.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

General Motors plant

On 7 November 2008, an auto-assembly plant by General Motors opened in ‘‘Shushary’’ industrial zone, Leningrad Region. Project Development Institute No. 1 has been the general designer of the enterprise since 2006.


2005

The new Town-Planing Code was enacted as of 1 January. St. Petersburg construction laws were harmonized with federal laws.

Project Development Institute No. 1 continued carrying out territorial activity: planning project development for the industrial zones ‘‘Gorelovo,’’ ‘‘South-East’’ in Vyborg, ‘‘Novoe Devyatkino;’’ industrial and utility-and-storage zones in Gatchina and Vsevolozhsk Districts were continued.

In the field of industrial designing, cooperation with Nokian Tyres and Kraft Foods proceeded.

South water-supply station

In 2005, Project Development Institute No. 1 initiates large-scale work on developing renovation design projects for the South water-supply station of St. Petersburg, including a design package for a potable water-treatment unit.


2006

Basic changes in the construction industry this year concerned residential building: the “Affordable and Comfortable Housing for Russian Citizens” national project commenced in 2006. Measures for developing the construction-materials industry entailing state support were considered on the cabinet level.

That same year, the Government of St. Petersburg adopted Resolution No. 167 “On Overall Territory Development for Residential Construction.” It defined the tendering procedure for the right to lease land plots for overall development for residential construction, which introduced some advantages for investors.

The Russian Union of Planners was established in April 2006. The organization is dedicated to reestablishing ties between design organizations, promoting experience-sharing, and encouraging member interaction with the state authorities.

Project Development Institute No. 1 commenced working on large-scale projects for auto-assembling plants General Motors in Shushary, cargo railroad bogie and carriage works in Tikhvin, ready-made medicine plant named after Academic Filatov in Gatchina District.

Some design projects for the mining industry were carried out - ‘‘Luo-Camachia-Kamazhiku’’ mining society in Angola, Gai and the Kovdor mining-and-concentrating industrial complexes.

‘‘Dubrovka’’ industrial zone

In 2006, Project Development Institute No. 1 developed territory planing projects for the ‘‘Dubrovka’’ industrial zone in Kirovsky District, Leningrad Region, ‘‘Yanino-2’’ production area, ‘‘Shushary-2’’ industrial zone etc.


2007

Growth in the Russian construction industry proceeded, mainly owing to residential constriction.

Project Development Institute No. 1 implements several projects: buildings on Tankista Khrustitskogo Street, on Suzdal and Dachny Avenues in St. Petersburg, on Yana Fabritsiusa Street in Sochi.

Design activities for industrial enterprises continued - General Motors plant in Shushary, Admiralty Shipyard, ready-made pharmaceutical plant named after Academic Filatov in Gatchina District, Stroydetal plant in Tosno.

EUROSIB terminal-and-storage unit in Shushary

In 2007, Project Development Institute No. 1 initiated design of the Eurosib terminal in Shushary, spanning a total area of 16 hectares. The Institute functioned as the general designer.


1946

Hydrovoenproject Project Development Institute No. 1 was established in 1946 on the basis of Promstroyproject Leningrad Trust and the Leningrad branch of Promstroyproject. The order for its establishment was signed by S. Ginsburg, USSR Minister of Military and Naval Enterprises, on 31 March. In the beginning, the staff comprised just 79 employees. The Institute’s establishment process was generally completed by November 1946. Promstroyproject assigned the Institute 252 planners by the order dated 16 November I946.

The Institute’s core business areas in the first years after the war included restoration and expansion projects for shipbuilding, ship-repair and naval facilities, ports, airfields, construction industry enterprises and construction-material bases, all-type buildings and structures for civil and utility purposes.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/09/de/09dea0c6-1688-41e1-97d1-9092b9ca6247/norovskii_ei.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Efim Norovsky

Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 1946–1948

Efim Norovsky, Engineering Lieutenant-Colonel, headed Hydrovoenproject Project Development Institute No. 1 established in 1946, which, according to its Charter, had become the leading design organization of the Ministry of Military and Naval Enterprises of the USSR. His management years coincided with the formation and initial evolution of the Institute, which lacked its own production areas and whose personnel worked under Spartan conditions. The Institute conducted its main activities in these years in the design of hydro-technical facilities, including a unique reconstruction project for a slipway at the shipbuilding yard in Nikolaev, which should be noted individually. By the Minister’s order dated 29 March 1948, E.I. Norovsky, Engineering Lieutenant-Colonel, was recalled at the disposal of the Ministry of the Armed Forces.


1947

On 2 April 1947, the first technical committee involving prominent scientists was arranged at Project Development Institute No. 1 Said committee included N.N. Luknitsky, Engineering Major-General, Professor, K.V. Sakhnovsky, Engineering Major-General, Professor, G.V. Nikitin, N.N. Maslov, B.Y. Kalinovich, V.A. Gastev, I.O. Okerblom, I.A. Savrimovich, I.G. Popov, professors, D.Sc. in Engineering. The technical committee took part in studying and resolving the most complex engineering tasks.

Since its inception, the Institute has paid particular attention to advancing the skills of its personnel. In 1947, a technical library with a 10,000 book fund was established. The library was visited by 3,930 people that year.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/41/75/4175e4f3-b33e-48d0-911e-ba4fa1c40f4d/tass_4465884.jpeg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Nikolaevsky shipbuilding plant

One of the first projects that the scientists studied and gave their conclusion on at the technical committee was a reconstruction project for a slipway at the shipbuilding plant in Nikolaev.


1948

In 1948, Project Development Institute No. 1 began double-stage work - designing facilities to protect Leningrad from flooding and a metal frame for the Leningradskaya Hotel in Moscow, one the first Soviet skyscrapers. The institute carried out a sweeping scope of both survey and design work in terms of creating facilities to protect Leningrad from flooding. Hydro-technicians developed an integral diagram, arranged a hydrological expedition for site survey activities, established a specialized research-and-development sector to manage scientific and experimental approaches. The project was implemented by Stalin’s direct order. Work was suspended due to lack of financing. Design approaches were handed to Hydroproject in 1975 for further use. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/34/fe/34fe62c2-22d1-4ef4-a630-ecac27637ceb/vishnevskii_av.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Arkady Vishnevsky

Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 1948–1951

Arkady Vishnevsky was appointed Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 in May 1948 by order of the Minister for the Construction of Military and Naval Enterprises of the USSR. At that point in time, 449 people worked in the Institute. In March 1949, the Main Directorate for Design Activities at the Ministry for the Construction of Machine-Engineering Enterprises assumed control over Project Development Institute No. 1. The Institute was reorganized in 1949 under the direction of A.V. Vishnevsky; a Technical Committee was established. The Institute implemented a vast scope of work during his management tenure, including facilities to protect Leningrad from flooding, a metal frame for one of the country’s first high-rise buildings - the 17-storey Leningradskaya Hotel in Moscow, sluices of the Volgo-Donsk channel. In May 1951, A.V. Vishnevsky was recalled to Moscow, to the Main Committee Administration.


1949

In April 1949, the Ministry for the Construction of Machine-Engineering Enterprises began directing Project Development Institute No. 1. A great scope of hydro-technical work shipbuilding design projects was still in progress, and a new chapter was started, namely, the designing of machine-engineering enterprises. The Institute went on to design over 200 such enterprises.

A metalwork department specializing in complex work in metal was established at the Institute in December. The department was headed by A.P. Morozov, a qualified industry specialist, and he arranged Morozov’s weekly Tuesday meetings on both design and scientific issues. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/b3/e5/b3e5a650-0e8f-4b74-8964-934bf0cd6200/tass_189505.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg i

Author: Созинов Виталий

Source: http://www.tassphoto.com/

LENINGRADSKAYA Hotel

In 1949, construction of the 17-storey building of the Leningradskaya Hotel on Komsomolskaya Square in Moscow commenced.


1953

The standardized designing summary plan was approved by order of the Construction Minister N.A. Dygai. Considerable work scope in this area was transferred to Project Development Institute No. 1.

Among the most significant projects of the Institute as of 1953 are the Sokolov and Krasnoyarsk metalwork plants, the production workshop unit at the chemical-engineering plant in Kurgan, the chemical-engineering plant in Penza, and the metal-roll workshop at Kirov Plant in Leningrad. Hydro-technical activities are still of great importance: ship-repair yard wharf in Leningrad, quay in Riga, and others.

Riga ship-repair yard

In March 1953, the Institute’s technical committee considers the design assignment of the largest ship-repair yard in Riga.


1955

The Institute initiated resolving the building cooperation task, arranging several enterprises or departments in one building. Later on, technical solutions for the unit-blocking of separate buildings, workshops and structures would be developed and approved at the Institute, and their application would provide a notable economical effect and allow for a reduction in industrial-building erection periods.

Standardized design

The Institute performed a great scope of work in standardized design and got prepared for issuing a catalog of its own projects. The scope of application for precast reinforced-concrete at the Institute almost tripled compared to the previous year, amounting to 63,850 m3 in 1955 versus 24,300 m3 in 1954.


2000

Among the Institute’s major design projects commissioned in 2000 are the first stage of Vena Brewery, Kraft Foods freeze-dried coffee plant in the ‘‘Gorelovo’’ industrial zone, the boiler-house of the Leningrad river port in Otradnoe.

The Institute developed a renovation project for St. Petersburg’s oldest Colosseum cinema on Nevsky Prospect. All utilities were renewed under this project.

By order of SUE St. Petersburg Fuel-and-Energy Complex, Project Development Institute No. 1 initiated a renovation project for Parnas boiler house.

According to the results of an assessment of the activities of design-and-survey organizations carried out by order of the Russian State Construction Department in 2000, Project Development Institute No. 1 was among the top-100, taking 29th spot. 

PHILIP MORRIS IZHORA TOBACCO FACTORY

Phllip Morris Izhora tobacco factory was commissioned in 2000 in the ‘‘Gorelovo’’ industrial zone, Leningrad Region, representing Philip Morris International’s largest tobacco enterprise in terms of production capacity. Project Development Institute No. 1 developed the general layout, carried out the design of foundations, environmental protection and special sections of design.


1956

In January 1956, it was decided to conduct the construction of an industrial complex for the production of big wall gas-concrete blocks at Avtovo as a demonstration construction. The site became the second, after Leningrad reinforced concrete plant No. 5, proving ground for integrating new construction technologies.

Dnepropetrovsk tire plant

In April 1956, the Institute was charged by order of the construction minister within carrying out the overall designing of Dnepropetrovsk tire plant, applying pre-stressed structures in the project. In order to carry out site survey at the plant, a comprehensive survey crew was created. 


1959

Chemical industry facilities began assuming prominence in the work of Project Development Institute No. 1. Cooperation with Rezinoproject Institute developed strongly with regard to such projects as Dnepropetrovsk tire plant, Volzhsky chemical-industrial complex, Baranaul tire plant

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/0b/1b/0b1b3f1a-4ba8-4bdd-88bf-a40738d35ed3/konstruktorskoe_otdelenie.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Special drawing office

On 15 January 1959, Project Development Institute No. 1 was furnished with the Special Drawing Office (SDO) for designing effective reinforced-concrete pretensioned structures and rendering assistance when introducing them into construction. A.P. Morozov became the Head of the Office. He was the chief designer at the Institute, and a full member of the Construction and Architectural Academy.


1960

Among the major projects of Project Development Institute No. 1 in 1960 was Novgorod industrial base, which comprised 25 facilities, Sumy titania plant, Syzran heavy-engineering plant, Kaluga turbine plant and dozens of others.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/75/b3/75b3106a-00ac-47f7-8b1d-0ba1a7bdaf4b/shapirocircle.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Young specialist board

On 10 March 1960, a young specialist board was set up at the Institute. А.V. Shapiro was approved as the first Chairman of the Board.

Project Development Institute No. 1 became the school for many outstanding planners and a real source of manpower.


1963

During principal rearrangement of the design department using Project Development Institute No. 1 as a base, Soyuzmachstroyproject All-Union Association with 5,770 persons was created and the Institute became its lead.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/98/f4/98f43a22-0987-47be-bfc8-5f423a1645b8/kulon.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Territorial design organization

Project Development Institute No. 1 was charged as the territorial design organization in the Leningrad Economic Region by the State Construction Department of the USSR in 1963. The institute commenced extensive activities in developing proposals on arranging and providing general layout plots for industrial hubs.


1966

The boiler-plant department from Leningrad Promstroyproject was integrated into Project Development Institute No. 1. Boiler design projects, including standard ones, would account for a significant scope of the Institute’s work.

The Institute participated in the International Congress for Pretensioned Reinforced-Concrete Structures in Paris, 10-22 June.

On 6-9 September, the International Symposium for Spatial Structures took place in Leningrad, being arranged with the assistance of Project Development Institute No. 1, which presented there its innovative approaches, including those for envelopments.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/8f/7f/8f7f368d-f486-490a-832b-556a4b3b1901/diakonov_nn_copy.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Nikolai Dyakonov

Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 1966–1976

Nikolai Dyakonov was appointed Director of Project Development Institute No. 1 and the Soyuzmachstroyproject Association by order of the State Construction Department of the USSR dated 15 April 1966. In the beginning of his tenure as director, he did much to arrange the organizational structure of the Institute. A total of 16 departments were formed, and the number of employees amounted to 1098 by the end of 1967. Under N.N. Dyakonov’s stewardship, the Institute performed a vast amount of work both on designing and developing new structures. Among them are Belorussian tire plant in Bobruisk, whose design was awarded with the prize of the USSR Council of Ministers in 1976, trade center in Chelyabinsk, covered by a unique 102 x 102 m envelopment which was awarded with a first-class honorary diploma at the USSR VDNKh in 1973.


1969

As the territorial design organization in the Leningrad Economic Region, Project Development Institute No. 1 finished developing general layout plots for the ‘South-West’’ industrial hub in Leningrad in 1969 and began developing the ‘‘South’’ industrial hub in Tikhvin.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/86/6c/866c7176-3ccf-4d10-82d0-960b308ee617/isfahan1.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Foreign projects

The Institute develops its collaboration with foreign countries. Design assignment for construction of an aluminum plant in Korba, India, hardware plant workshop at ‘‘Roman’’ station, Bulgaria, fireproof production facility at a plant in Zenitsa, Yugoslavia, were all developed. The Metallurgical plant in Iskhafan, Iran project was in progress.


1971

In 1971, the plans of Project Development Institute No. 1 encompassed major new projects, including the Volgodonsk heavy-engineering plant, Stepnogorsk bearing plant, ‘‘Electrostal’’ and ‘‘Serp i Molot’’ plant in Moscow, mass tire plant at the Belorussian industrial tire complex, second stage of the Nizhnekamsk tire plant, Kaliningrad carriage works. Design work on Atommash also commenced.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/8b/c5/8bc5ba0f-2dc8-4ef9-9f05-f69305eb21ed/gershanok_r_a_1circle.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Rafail Gershanok

On 19 February 1971, the technical committee of Project Development Institute No. 1 considered the dissertation project of engineer R. Gershanok “Research into Pretensioned Reinforced-Concrete Truss Frames Without Inclined Braces for Covering Industrial Buildings.” Reviewers highly appreciated the project and noted its great practical significance. The research of R. Gershanok formed the foundation for for creating a standard series of trusses without inclined braces.


1973

Two major projects of Project Development Institute No. 1 were awarded with the prize of the USSR Council of Ministers.

  • Power turbo-generator experimental station of Electrosila association. Author team: P.I. Nikonov, V.A. Dmitrievsky, T.F. Belenkaya, G.V. Kudryavtseva, M.I. Sadovsky,

  • West ship-repair yard in Klaypeda. Author team: N.S Grigorieva, V.F. Tsypin, F.A. Blagoveschensky.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/8c/16/8c16b39c-687a-436b-a4ee-6f086b3d0bb6/tass_77587.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg i

Author: Толочко Виктор

Source: http://www.tassphoto.com/

INDUSTRIAL GIANTS

Construction applying the design projects of Project Development Institute No. 1 was conducted all over the country and abroad. Second stage of the Belorussian tire plant, Kirov plant branch in Tikhvin, Dzhambul double superphosphate plant, Balaklava rubber technical-goods plant and over 10 projects more were put into operation.


1986

The Project Development Institute celebrated forty years of operation. Since its establishment, the professional achievements of the Institute in many fields of planning and designing were highly appreciated both by the professional community and superior bodies. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/40/a4/40a453fc-7ee4-4ca1-939f-d8daf49ec054/lenbytkhim1.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Lenbytkhim

In 1986, the design-stage general layout of Lenbytkhim association was accomplished. Operating enterprises for the production of household chemicals were located at 13 sites around Leningrad in buildings mostly unsuitable for modern production purposes. The leading-enterprise renovation design project developed at Project Development Institute No. 1 provided for the construction of a facility spanning some 80,000 m² in the ‘‘Rzhevka’’ industrial zone. The spatial planning solution for a lengthy multi-storied building required resolving the process diagram of production along the vertical line, which was the first of its kind in the industry.


1994

Project Development Institute No. 1 was reincorporated as a joint-stock company. The new Charter was approved and registered and a registration certificate for PI-1, AOOT was issued as of 27 May 1994.

The Institute is mainly involved in designing in St. Petersburg and the surrounding region; due to the virtual cessation of industrial construction, a considerable scope of work during this period involves the design of residential buildings.

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/85/b0/85b064f3-fe87-48d7-a4b3-6098d39b3c08/karpovka.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Residential building on Karpovka

The 24-apartment, 7-storey building on the Karpovka river embankment in St. Petersburg was commissioned in 1994.


1995

Territorial activity become the one of the most importance fields of work, which helped to secure orders for the design of individual facilities. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/f0/c8/f0c89b19-8901-4401-bef8-591f121933ab/1020.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg i

Author: Сергей Тягин

Source: http://www.interpress.ru/

VENA brewery

Project Development Institute No. 1 actively collaborates with foreign companies arriving on the Russian market. These projects include Neste gas stations, renovation at Vena brewery, renovation of Sweden House.


1998

Cooperation between Project Development Institute No. 1 and Ford Motor Company begins. The Institute carries out a package of designing activities involving construction of the plant in Vsevolozhsk District, Leningrad Region as the general designing company. Representatives of Russia’s first foreign automaking enterprise highly appreciated the professional level of Project Development Institute No. 1, noting its sound selection of design solutions and qualified field supervision process. 

/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/54/b7/54b79d20-b133-4757-8b36-0ee2a80068cc/baltreid_dun_mosk.jpg__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.jpg

Gas stations

Several gas stations implemented per the design projects of Project Development Institute No. 1 were commissioned in 1998, including the Balt-Trade gas station at the intersection of Dunaisky Avenue and the Moscow Highway.


/media/filer_public_thumbnails/filer_public/3f/40/3f409ad7-916e-447a-9393-45340b8631fc/no1-logo-square-ru-021.png__389x387_q85_crop_subsampling-2.png

No description